Friday, August 6, 2010

Bikejoring


  Shama has shown great potential as a lead dog. Here is a story about one of our firsts trips to the woods.

I took her out to the Crum again this morning. The bikejoring equipment needs some work! It kept interfering with my brakes, a potentially dangerous situation. Shama is such a fantastic puller, so speed is an issue. From now on a helmet is essential. Dorje has a tendency to run ahead of her since she likes to be the leader, and she can be off the leash. This really motivates Shama to pull more consistently. I also don't help much so there is constant drag on her. She is learning Gee and Haw and Hike. Since she is such a fast learner, she is picking up the commands quickly. Dorje knows the trails and knows where to turn so I can practice calling out the commands to Shama.

We worked for about 10 minutes, took a break, then another 10 minutes. I let Shama chase a rabbit as a reward, then tethered her for my swim. Then we went full speed pulling again, up the hill back to the car. The side of my face is all red because she pulled me with such force through some bushes that had catscratch growing on them. I feel like I had some kind of crazy iron man workout. When I got back to my car these workmen were staring at me- with 3 dogs on leads, all dirty, my bike covered with mud and sand. HaHa
Posted by Picasa

No comments: