Sunday, September 5, 2010

Why I got goats- the real answer

I am consuming a vastly disportionate share of the world's resources, living in the USA. I can't assume that I will be able to do so indefinitely, especially since I am not producing anything of sufficient value to compensate the world for my flagrant consumption.

It seems likely that I may have to live a much less wasteful lifestyle at some point in the future . This could mean a very small house, a little electricity and running water if I am lucky, maybe access to a small plot of land to grow vegetables. If I have the skills to raise goats and bees, to produce and use herbal medicines, I will have a better lifestyle and more options.

I got goats because I wanted to learn how to raise them in the eventuality that I might need goat raising skills. I also wanted my children to be exposed to the kinds of skills they might need to have a reasonable life if the world changes drastically in the future.

If I can develop the skills, psychologically, physically, metaphysically, materially, to live in any country, in any culture, and have something to offer, a way to make a living, I will have achieved my goal.

Healing with plants, raising goats and bees, knowing basic gardening, are skills with cross-cultural viability.

No comments: